"oh what a tangled interweb we weave..."


Thursday, April 8, 2010

Introduce Yourself, Roarke Walker


Theatre or theater?

Both - depending on my mood. I like to keep it spontaneous and funky fresh. 

Strangest theatre or theater-related job?

Alright, this is more of a costume story. I did a show in a Cincinnati where I played a super hero called The Red Angel.. so I was expecting an interesting costume (maybe something involving tights ala Superman?). However, when I got there on the first day the costume designer handed me a bright red speedo and that was it. Later I got some "wings" that they had designed. So yeah, to review...  just me in a bright red Speedo and retractable wings.... in Cincinnati. The audience reactions were priceless.

What experience made you want to become an actor?

This is cheesy but true. I remember when i was in Kindergarden, my mom brought home a souvenir program from "The Phantom of the Opera" and I was instantly glued to it. Looking at all the pictures, I thought to myself "I wanna do THAT when I grow up".
Then, I think my first trip to New York solidified it. My parents took me for my birthday one year when I was 10 or something. Saw my first Broadway show (How to Succeed.. with Matthew Broderick).  I was sold. 

Very first role on stage?

The Major General in a fifth grade production of "The Pirates of Penzance" at my catholic elementary school. Now that I think about it, that was an extremely ambitious and insane choice for fifth graders. We should have tackled "Sunday in the Park with George" while we were at it. 

Tragic flaw? 

Poking baked goods. I'm a snob when it comes to cookies, cakes, anything baked... so I have been known to "poke" cookies, breads, etc. to make sure they aren't stale.. when I'm in a deli or bakery (only if they have a wrapper on them of course). "Cause really folks... why waste your time with a mediocre piece of cake... am I right?

If you were a 1980s television show sidekick, who would you be?

I didnt start watching TV till the mid-90's... so I'm not as familiar with my 80's Tv shows. However, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Jefferson D'arcy from Married with Children.  Does he count? 

No comments:

Post a Comment