"oh what a tangled interweb we weave..."


Monday, April 5, 2010

Introduce Yourself, Laura Savia


Theatre or theater?

Theater.  I think it gives a more American colour to this word which is at the centre of our work. 

Strangest theater-related job?

One summer, when I was 19, I was in the cast of YOUNG ABE LINCOLN, a historical dramatic musical about Lincoln's formative years growing up in Indiana.  It featured such numbers as the love duet "Aw, Shucks," and the show-stopper "My Gee-haw Whimmy-diddle" (I'll show you the dance if you get me drunk enough).  Also, for $5 extra a performance, I cleaned the 1700 amphitheater house with a few other actors.  One time I found someone's dentures in an empty popcorn container. 

What experience made you want to become a director?

Finding those dentures. 
No...probably...directing THE HOUSE OF BLUE LEAVES in college.  I had trained as an actor up to that point.  When BLUE LEAVES went up, I thought perhaps I had gotten it all wrong, but was dying to try it again!  I felt the process was the first event in my life that had used every single part of me. 

Very first role on stage?

Litterbug Lauren in a musical about environmental friendliness, at a summer daycamp when I was 10.  I had to tape trash all over my large t-shirt and stirrup leggings. 

Tragic flaw? 

Guilt.   

If you were a 1980s television show sidekick, who would you be?

Joey on "Full House." 

No comments:

Post a Comment