"oh what a tangled interweb we weave..."


Monday, May 10, 2010

Introduce Yourself, Melissa Joyner


Theatre or theater?

Theater, always E-R! Doesn't it make it seem elegant and important?! And honestly, how often does one get to feel that way?

Strangest theater-related job?

Strangest theater related job was an internship for an independent film company in London U.K. The horror film, CREEP was being filmed in the abandoned tube system in the dead of winter. My job, adorned in a man's navy jumper with flashlight and walkie talkie in hand: keep the curious public from wandering, stumbling, snooping onto the set. All the while keeping the director supplied with English Breakfast tea, steaming hot. He only liked it when I made his tea.  Apparently I steep a mean cup.

What experience made you want to become an actor?

Looking back I believe I've always been an actor and a singer.  What I discovered was that there was a title for what I loved doing. I've been doing this since I was 11 years old when my parents stuck me into the Venette Carol Children's Theatre, to give themselves a break from my "energy," and they haven't been able to drag me off of the stage since.

Very first role on stage?

"The Candy Man" at Banyan Elementary School. Imagine 17 elementary school kids shrieking, I mean singing, "The candy man, the candy man can, the candy man can because he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good" and me with a white apron handing out lollipops and gum made out of construction paper, glitter, and paste.

Tragic flaw? 

Spreading myself too thin. My father is always telling me, "Melissa you can do 20 things well or 2 things and be the best."

If you were a 1980s television show sidekick, who would you be?

My nickname in junior high into high school, "Laura Winslow" (Kellie S. Williams) on Family Matters, smart goody two shoes girl, (OK yes that sounds like me) and I did have my own "Steve Urkle" type.  He was a rapper not a scientist but did have a tendency to act out his professions of love in front of the entire school. I guess it wasn’t too much of a stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment