"oh what a tangled interweb we weave..."


Sunday, May 2, 2010

Introduce Yourself, Kelcie Beene


Theatre or theater?

Theater... theatre... theater....theatre... THEATER is much easier to type for me so let's go with that.

Strangest theater-related job?

Um, well... growing up, every summer at Ivy Green in Tuscumbia, AL - yes, the birthplace of Helen Keller - they would put on The Miracle Worker in an outdoor theater.  Tourists from all over the world would come to check it out.  Over a period of 10 years of involvement, my father played the Doctor and Captain Keller, my brother played James Keller, my sister worked back stage, and I played a blind child and finally Helen when I was old enough.  So basically I spent my summers with my family pretending to be deaf and blind. Looking back, I find that strange.

What experience made you want to become a producer?

I think it was a combination of 1) someone told me to apply to a program as a producer, even though I didn't really consider myself a producer, causing great reflection upon my career goals 2) being surrounded by amazingly talented and creative people who's biggest flaws were logistics and organization 3) sometimes when you work on a project you learn a lot of what NOT to do by the people above you. I'm speaking of only one dark incident many years ago, but it was still very much a lasting learning experience.

I sort of took up an attitude of "can-do" and once people I cared about started saying to me "I want to do THIS project" my reply became "Ok, let's do it!" and we would. It's like the first time you jump off the high dive it's terrifying, but once you do it, it's exhilarating and you don't even think twice the next time.

Very first role on stage?

They all sort of blur together since I did community theater from the time I could walk till high school... but I would say either a squirrel in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or the Littlest Indian in Peter Pan... I don't even think that was a character I think they just gave me that title because at age 6 I thought I should be signing autographs...

Tragic flaw?

Over-booking myself.  Hands down. And procrastinating.... it's a lethal combination.

If you were a 1980s television show sidekick, who would you be?

Maybe Penny or Brain from Inspector Gadget....

But I always wanted to be in Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem! 

No comments:

Post a Comment