"oh what a tangled interweb we weave..."


Monday, March 22, 2010

Introduce Yourself, Laura Jacqmin


Theatre or theater?

Like I'm gonna tell anyone in public.
That's how they get you.

Strangest theatre or theater-related job?

When I was a freshman in college, I stage managed a production which used an out-of-town fancy NYC director. Apparently, part of my job description was to help him move his possessions (including weird personal items) into a fleabag hotel before tech week - all via the stairs. It's not something I'd ever like to repeat.

What experience made you want to become a writer?

When I was little, my parents exposed my sister and me to Prairie Home Companion and other radio shows. Then, we would plug a microphone into the cassette recorder and make our own radio shows. We would play all the parts, make all the music, do all the interviews... it's probably the most artistic control I've ever had on a project. Those shows are awful, but cherished.

Very first role on stage?

I think I was a fish in a second-grade production of Whatever That Thing In Our Cafeteria Was. You could get cast in a Real Part, or as a Bird, or as  a Fish. I think Fish was lowest on the ladder, talent-wise. Me = decidedly not an actor.

Tragic flaw? 

Tech makes me really nervous and weepy and pushy. Like have-to-go-take-a-walk-around-Crate-and-Barrel-for-forty-five-minutes nervous. Clutching at fake palm fronds and pretending to be seriously considering buying expensive chairs nervous. Luckily, I've always managed to stop myself from standing on my chair and shouting, "It's MY play! Do what I want!" (But only just barely.)

If you were a 1980s television show sidekick, who would you be?

I know I'm going to sound like a complete alien, but I didn't really/wasn't really allowed to watch TV when I was in elementary school (thus, during the 80's). So I'm going to have to go with Tamira Goldstein of the under-appreciated 90's teen sitcom "Breaker High." She was weird and from Ohio (just like me!) but she got Ryan Gosling in the end (just like me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment